New Payment Options Accepted - AfterPay - Klarna - LatitudePay - Qoin - FREE Shipping for Orders Over $60 Australia Wide!

5 Reasons to Buy Bamboo for Your Baby



Bamboo is an amazing plant that is both versatile and eco-friendly. It can be made into so many different things, such as crockery, cutlery, textiles and even toys. When bamboo is turned into clothing in particular, it has so many natural benefits which I’m really excited to share with you here. It’s more breathable and more absorbent than cotton, and it’s gentle on all skin types – especially on babies’ sensitive skin! There are many other reasons why I’ve fallen in love with bamboo and have made it my number one choice when it comes to baby wear. Here are my top five:

Breathable and Absorbent

The fabric made out of the bamboo plant is called rayon. Not only is this material silky soft, it is actually 40% more breathable and absorbent than cotton! This amazing fabric is also thermal regulating. What that means is that it absorbs any excess moisture on your baby’s body – keeping them cool during the hot summer months, and cozy and warm during winter.

Hypoallergenic and Antibacterial

Bamboo is naturally gentler on the skin and less irritating than the majority of other fabrics. This is so, so important because babies’ skin is much more sensitive than adults’ or children's skin! Many babies suffer from eczema and skin allergies, and the qualities of bamboo clothing can be a huge help in such cases. It is naturally hypoallergenic and breathable, which means it allows the skin to air out. This is great news for babies suffering from eczema, because excess moisture is actually one of the main causes of an eczema flare up! What’s more is that bamboo has natural antibacterial and anti-fungal properties, which help keep body odor under control and keep babies feeling (and smelling!) cleaner for longer.

Eco-Friendly

Bamboo is the fastest growing plant in the world, growing up to a yard in just a single day. (Isn’t that amazing?) Being such a naturally fast grower, it doesn’t need fertilizers, and requires only a third of the amount of water that is needed to cultivate cotton - which is great news in today’s rapidly changing climate. It generates 35% more oxygen than trees, and because of its vast, interconnected root system, it doesn’t need to be replanted after being harvested. It is naturally resistant to insects and infecting pathogens, which means that it happily grows without requiring the use of pesticides. All of this makes bamboo clothing a much more environmentally friendly choice than most other options out there!

Hard Wearing

I mentioned earlier that rayon (the fabric made out of bamboo) is silky soft. Well, you’ll be happy to learn that it is actually also very strong and durable! It won’t shrink after washing or stretch after use like many other fabrics can. It doesn’t tear easily, it doesn’t unravel, and as long as the clothing is cared for properly it will keep its shape for a very long time, giving you great value for money!

Easy to Care For

My youngest daughter, Scarlett, wears our Inspire Baby Wear clothes and we absolutely LOVE them. It goes without saying that they are made from 95% bamboo (the other 5% is elastine). Therefore, I can confirm from personal experience that these baby suits really do prevent her skin from flaring up, and they really do help keep her body temperature down during the hot summer months here in Australia! The antibacterial properties naturally present in the material dramatically reduce the “spew” smell that my daughter’s other clothes sometimes hold onto so stubbornly. The suits are super easy to keep clean – if there are any bad stains, I just spray them with stain remover, then wash the baby suit together with all of our other washing at 30 degrees. Then I hang them to dry on a clothing rack inside. Super easy, super simple, this really is all it takes to help these clothes keep their shape so well over time.

Well, there you have it! Those were my five favourite reasons as to why I personally believe that bamboo is by far the best choice for babywear. This is a topic that I am super passionate about, and I will probably be writing more about the amazing qualities of rayon in the future. Is there anything in particular you’d like to know more about when it comes to baby clothes made out of bamboo? Please let me know in the comments! I’d also love to hear about your own experiences with this wonderful fabric, so feel free to share them with me.

❤️ Paula Cummings,

Inspire Baby Wear

Leave a comment